Many a prayer is too long by twenty lines. It is smothered under a bed-full of words. There are times when a Christian man can pray from hour to hour; but it is a great mistake when brethren measure their supplications by the clock. The great matter is not how long you pray, but how earnestly you pray. Consider the life of the prayer rather than the length of the prayer. If your prayer reaches to heaven it is long enough. What longer can it need to be? If it does not reach the Lord, though it occupied you for a week, it would not be long enough to be of use.
From a sermon by Charles Haddon Spurgeon entitled “To Souls In Agony.”
On this day...
- Have all people sinned or not? - 2012
- Give me grace, O Lord, to do as you command - 2012
- Christian Ministry - 2012
- Our sins are forgiven, and death and hell cannot injure us - 2012
- Freedom is being so in love with Christ - 2012
- Freedom is doing what you want to do and not regretting it in 1,000 years - 2012
- All sinners need a Saviour - 2012
- The other side of sorrow - 2012
- Called to be Holy - 2012
- Psalms 93:2 - 2009