Do any of us find decays of grace prevailing in us; deadness, coldness, lukewarmness, a kind of spiritual stupidity and senselessness coming upon us? Do we find an unreadiness unto the exercise of grace in its proper season and the vigorous acting of it in duties of communion with God? And would we have our souls recovered from these dangerous diseases?
Let us assure ourselves there is no better way for our healing and deliverance, yea no other way but this alone, namely, the obtaining a fresh view of the glory of Christ by faith, and a steady abiding therein. Constant contemplation of Christ and his glory putting forth its transforming power unto revival of all grace, is the only relief in this case.
The Gospel Defended, The Works of John Owen, ed. William H. Goold, 1850-1853, (Carlisle, PA: Banner of Truth Trust, 1967), XII, 501-502, paragraphing mine.
Topic: Sanctification & Growth
On this day...
- The More You Love, the More You Hate - 2011
- One with Christ and the Fellowship of Righteousness - 2011
- How Should We Approach Worship Today? - 2011
- A Richer Understanding of Jesus Christ - 2011
- Preaching Practical Holiness - 2011
- THE SIX MIRACLES OF CALVARY - NICHOLSON - 2010
- Consubstantiality - 2009
- Jonathan Edwards – Famous Sermons - 2009
- Genesis 1:4 - 2008
- 1 Peter 5:7 - 2008